Thursday, July 12, 2012

Library Visit!

Yesterday I invited my students from this past school year to meet me at the public library for a fun "date" and to make sure that they were visiting the library over the summer! I was so impressed with how many students came out in the middle of the summer, and even more surprised with how interested the parents were in planning more visits as a class for the remainder of the summer! Awesome! As I was helping students pick out books and listening to them read, my heart smiled!! :) It was astonishing how the children remembered how to pick out "Just Right Books", and as they were reading they were having book conversations and making connections! I won't lie, it made me miss their precious faces and got me EXCITED to teach a whole new batch of kiddos in just a few weeks! 

A tool I use in my classroom to help drive my reading instruction and monitor my students literacy behaviors  is a checklist that I adapted from the Fountas and Pinnell's Continuum of Learning. First I give each student a running record to assess what reading level he/she is reading at instructionally. Then I use the corresponding checklist at the appropriate level. Using the checklist helps me to develop all of the behaviors at each reading level and gives specific skills to address. Click on the picture to get your free copy!



Check out my TPT Store to find my new I'm a GOOD READER because... Posters!




No comments:

Post a Comment