Monday, September 29, 2014

Heating Things Up! {Fire Safety Week FREEBIES}



For the next 2 weeks we are learning all about Fire Safety...I like to play and pretend, so this is a fun theme for me!

To get the kids excited about the week I hung "flames" around the room. I was inspired by this blog post and tutorial! {HERE} The kids FrEAkeD out this morning!

Amazing how a little hype and influencing of imagination can make learning SO MUCH FUN! :)
Here are some pictures of us hard at work in reading and math!



We are really working on our reading and writing muscles and developing our stamina. My students really are working so hard, and I wanted to reward them for all of their efforts. {Sometimes I have to remember that they are just like me...I like to be told when I am doing a good job, and I especially like to be rewarded for my efforts!}  So I made these little banners. As my students are reading and writing independently, I am looking for those who are displaying qualities of a good reader or writer. When I explained the reward to the students they became even more eager to get to work! Well look at that...tricked 'em!!!! ;)  
I also let the Red Hot Reader read wearing a fire helmet and a reading chief badge. {At this point my kids were going BANANAS---sang just like Gwen Stefani!} During writing, I "sounded the alarm" {rang a bell} to announce who I had seen working hard as a writer. Those students got to wear a writing chief badge, and wait for it...use "Fire Writer Pencils"! {Stop it!} :) The pencils were just yellow, red and orange mechanical pencils!


All day long whenever I saw my students "blazing" with amazing work, I gave them a "fire hose" to cool off! {Twizzlers} I also gave away lots of Red Hots for students that were "on fire" with their behavior! 

I know it seems cheezy, ridiculous or even over kill...but can I tell you that my Monday was ON FIRE!!! If being cheezy and silly gets my students to work hard and have FUN doing it, I am all for it! If you want to join the fun, grab your free copy by clicking the picture below!

Fire Safety Resources...







YouTube songs for Fire Safety...



Hope your week is off to a great start! 

No comments:

Post a Comment