Thursday, January 10, 2013

"WOW" moment

Today I had a WOW moment that I just had to share with you!

In math, my students are learning about the numbers 11-20. After my small group instruction I gave my students the task to independently show me what they know about the number 15. I didn't give them any specifics of what I was looking for, just to show me what they knew about the number. After math centers, my students were sharing out his/her 'Discovery of the Day'. As I was circulating, I heard a student sharing with his partner the ways he discovered to make 15. When I looked at his board this is what I saw...



I was so impressed (Yes, I know there are backwards numbers, but I was willing to look past that...just this once!). I had been working with number bonds earlier this year when we were studying numbers 0-10...I just couldn't believe he figured this out all by himself!!! I, of course, did a crazy happy dance. As I was driving home I was thinking about how when I first read the common core math standards last year I was confused what number pairs were and the thought of teaching it and expecting my students to "get it" seemed ridiculous. I love that today my student proved me wrong...when we expect it and teach it, they will learn it and use it!!!

If you are looking for activities and assessments for teaching operations & algebraic thinking, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment