Sunday, October 11, 2015

Number Buddies {Lessons to Teach Number Pairs}

As my students are starting to explore the numbers to 10, I have found many students have had difficulty understanding the concepts of number pairs. It is something that we have been working on daily. We do a variety of activities on a daily basis but I felt like my students needed a little extra practice. So I created a few resources to help us out.

I am embarrassed to admit that it took me several years to see the importance and the benefit of using a ten frame in teaching many concepts in math. I know...shame on me! My students really utilize ten frames to help them stay organized in their thinking of numbers. I think this center activity will stretch them to think of numbers and number pairs in a new way.

We will be creating an interactive anchor chart in class.  I look forward to having a quick mini-assessment of understanding at the end of the lesson and creating an anchor chart at the same time! Win!!!

My kids this year are active and love to get up and move! Like ALL.THE.TIME! Why fight it!?!?! We will be doing this fun little "Scoot" game to get some extra independent practice.

We have been practicing subitizing daily during our Math Talks. {Math Talks are one of my most favorite times of the day...my kids thinking blows me away EVERY DAY!} We will be using these printables to tie subitizing together with number pairs.

My students will work on number pair fluency with this little review activity. I think this will be the most difficult task for them to complete. I look forward to see them problem solving and am interested to see what strategies and manipulatives they will use.

My kids are going to LOVE creating these Number Buddies. This year's group loves partner and group work, so this little mathtivity will be perfect for them! The kids will work together as partners to create number pairs and solve to find out what number is created. 

You can find all these activities in this unit!

If your students are anything like mine then they love a song to sing and bop along with. Here are some of YouTube videos that my class likes to watch on Number Pairs...




Of course while working on number pairs we use number bonds quite a bit...along with snacks of course! Here is a little FREEBIE for you to use in your own classroom. Just click on the picture below.






5 comments:

  1. Interesting approach. How to write argumentative essay outline techniques might also come handy no? its given in this page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tips are really useful for children. I have work on hard to make my theology essays because I have to collect a massive amount of information and it is difficult to make it right. That's why sometimes the best solution would be to use an offer of professional writing service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Very informative blog Great Blog! Thanks for sharing such beautiful Knowledgeable posts with us. For more information check this also -Top PGDM College in Pune

    ReplyDelete